Stay healthy and fit with this Mediterranean Red Rice recipe
Thinking of eating healthy this festive season? Have you tried red rice? Red rice, known for its low glycaemic index, abundance of antioxidants and magnesium is a good source of some of the essential nutrients. Add tomatoes, zucchini, garlic and several other spices and voila you can savour an exceptionally healthy meal.
- Prep time
- Cooking time
|Red rice||1.5 cup/s|
|Garlic cloves||8 piece/s|
|Springs of celery||handful|
|Paprika or red chili powder||2 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Italian mixed seasoning||1 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Olive oil||1 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Extra virgin olive oil for drizzling||1 dash|
- Wash and soak the rice in water for an hour
- Dice the zucchini into medium sized pieces
- Cut the tomatoes along its length, removing the seeds
- Heat oil in a microwave oven safe bowl
- Add the tomatoes, zucchini, garlic and microwave for 2 minutes
- Add the rice and microwave again for 3 minutes
- Add the salt, paprika and celery leaves.
- Now add 2 ½ cups of water and microwave on high for about 10 minutes
- After 10 minutes, check the rice. If it is done, remove from the microwave oven. If not, then microwave for 5 more minutes. Add a little more water, if needed (not more than ¼ cup)
- Remove the rice from the microwave oven and let it cool so that each grain separates well.
- Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil.
- Garnish with celery leaves.
- The delicious Mediterranean red rice is ready to be served.