Spicy and tangy Kolhapuri Masala Fish is a must-try for fish lovers
How about tantalizing your taste buds with a spicy and flavoursome fish recipe? And what’s better than Kolhapuri style Masala fish that you can prepare at home too? Here is chef Smita Deo’s quick and easy Kolhapuri Masala fish in the limited-edition cookbook launched by Godrej Appliances at Home Chef Matters, which is sure to impress. The fish – whether surmai, rawas or pomfret rich in vitamins and healthy fats – is coated with a host of masalas (Kolhapuri mix made with garlic and loads of chilli powder), dry grated coconut and a tang of lime. Serve this spicy recipe with plenty of rice bhakris or chapatis. Follow the step-by-step guide to make this fiery recipe!
- Prep time
- Cooking time
|Surmai, Rawas or Pomfret||4 slice/s|
|Cloves of garlic||10 piece/s|
|Fresh coriander, chopped||1 cup/s|
|Lemon juice||1 piece/s|
|Kokum agal (syrup without sugar)||3 tablespoon/s (tbsp)|
|Dry grated coconut||1 cup/s|
|Chilli powder||1 tablespoon/s (tbsp)|
|Kolhapuri kanda lasoon masala||2 tablespoon/s (tbsp)|
|Garam masala powder||1 tablespoon/s (tbsp)|
|Turmeric powder||0.5 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
- To roast the dry coconut, take the dry grated coconut in a glass bowl and place it in the microwave oven and press ‘MICROWAVE’. The oven will display P100. Set the timer to 4 minutes. After 2 minutes, check if the colour has changed to light brown. If not, then continue for the rest 2 minutes and the coconut will be roasted perfectly for the marinade.
- Grind the roasted coconut, garlic, ginger, coriander, lemon juice or the agal, chilli powder, kolhapuri masala or garam masala, turmeric powder and salt into a thick fine paste.
- Take the cleaned slices of fish and coat them with a thick layer of the paste.
- Pour 2tbsp of oil in a microwavable dish and place the pieces of fish in it.
- Place the dish in the microwave oven and press ‘MICROWAVE’ to P100. Set the timer for 18 minutes and simply let the fish cook.
- After 18 minutes, the dish is ready to be served straight out of the microwave.
- Serve with hot chapattis or rice bhakris.