Saffron Cream Cheese Pound Cake
A moist and tender cake made flavourful with Indian spices that’s perfect for festival celebrations, or just about any occasion!
- Prep time
- Cooking time
|All-Purpose Flour||1.5 cup/s|
|Baking Powder||1 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Baking Soda||0.5 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Salted Butter||115 gram (g)|
|Castor Sugar||150 gram (g)|
|Cream Cheese||150 gram (g)|
|Yogurt/Hung Curd||120 gram (g)|
|Saffron||0.25 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Crushed Cardamom||0.5 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Milk||2 tablespoon/s (tbsp)|
- Pre-heat the oven to 170 degree C.
- Grease an 8-inch bundt pan with butter and sprinkle with flour.
- Mix all the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder and baking soda in a bowl and keep aside.
- Soak the saffron in the warm milk.
- In another bowl, beat the butter and sugar together till light - 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cream cheese and beat for another minute to ensure there are no lumps.
- Add the yogurt, saffron soaked milk, and crushed cardamom to the batter and beat again for 1 minute.
- Fold in the dry ingredients till you have a smooth batter. Do not over-mix the batter.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on a wire rack before slicing.
To make a glaze (optional)
Add 1 tbsp of milk to 1/4 cup of icing sugar. Add crushed cardamom, a few drops of yellow colour and mix well. Pour over the cooled cake. Garnish with saffron strands.
The cake stores well for 4-5 days refrigerated in an airtight container.