Baked Shahi Subzi Biryani
Have you ever baked a biryani before? We guess not! Try Sunita Chechani’s rich yet flavourful version that is perfect to show off your cooking skills
- Prep time
- Cooking time
|Long grained Basmati rice||1.25 cup/s|
|Godrej groundnut oil (for greasing)||2 tablespoon/s (tbsp)|
|Cinnamon (1-inch)||1 piece/s|
|Bay leaf||1 piece/s|
|Cumin seeds||1 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Ginger garlic paste||1 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Green chillies||1 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Onion (sliced)||0.5 cup/s|
|Cashew nuts||10 piece/s|
|Tomatoes (chopped)||0.75 cup/s|
|Chilli powder||1 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Coriander powder||1 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Turmeric powder||0.25 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Mixed vegetables (carrots, cauliflower, French beans, potatoes)||1 cup/s|
|Green peas||0.25 cup/s|
|Paneer cubes||0.5 cup/s|
|Rose water||1 tablespoon/s (tbsp)|
|Saffron (dissolved with 2 tbsp of milk)||1 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Coriander leaves||1 tablespoon/s (tbsp)|
|Mint leaves||1 tablespoon/s (tbsp)|
|Lemon juice||1 tablespoon/s (tbsp)|
- Clean, wash and soak the rice for approximately 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Boil 4 cups of water, add the rice and cook until it is 80 percent done. Each grain of rice should be separate. Drain and discard the water. Keep the rice aside.
- Heat the Godrej groundnut oil in a deep pan. Add the cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves, bay leaf and cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds crackle, add ginger-garlic paste, green chillies, sliced onions and cashews. Sauté for 2-3 minutes or till the onion turns golden.
- Add the tomatoes and again sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Add the mixed vegetables, green peas and paneer cubes. Mix well and sauté till the vegetables are half cooked.
- Spread this vegetable mixture evenly at the bottom of a 200mm, 8”greased baking dish.
- Sprinkle the chopped coriander and mint leaves and lemon juice over it.
- Finally spread the rice in an even layer and sprinkle saffron over it. Cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake in a preheated oven at 180 ̊ for 20-25 minutes. Serve hot.