Atta Chocolate-Coffee Walnut Cake
A bakery-style tea-time cake made healthy with Wheat flour, Olive oil, and Non-refined sugar. With all the flavours from chocolate, coffee, and walnuts, these cake slices are addictive on every bite.
- Prep time
- Cooking time
|Wheat flour/Atta||1 cup/s|
|Instant coffee powder||1 tablespoon/s (tbsp)|
|Baking powder||¾ teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Baking soda||¼ teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Salt||¼ teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Brown sugar||¾ cup/s|
|Vanilla extract||1 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Olive oil||½ cup/s|
|Dark chocolate (roughly chopped + more for sprinkling on top)||¼ cup/s|
|Walnuts (chopped + more for sprinkling on top)||¼ cup/s|
- Before I start all the ingredients were at room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Prepare a 6” round cake pan by greasing with oil and place a piece of baking paper at the bottom of the pan.
- In a bowl, add all the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, coffee, salt, and sugar), mix well.
- Add egg, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract to the dry mixture. Whisk well until a smooth, lump-free batter forms. Don’t whisk for a longer time.
- Mix in walnuts and chocolate chunks into this. Transfer the cake batter to the prepared cake pan.
- Tap the cake pan gently on the kitchen counter a couple of times to release the air bubbles. Sprinkle some walnuts and chocolate chunks on top. Bake for 40-45 minutes. Check for the doneness after the first 30 minutes of baking, insert a wooden skewer in the middle of the cake. The cake is ready if the skewer comes out clean. If not, bake for some more time, and then check again.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 15 minutes and then run a sharp knife around the edges of the pan and carefully remove the cake. Turn onto a cooling rack and leave there until cools completely.
- When cooled, slice, serve and enjoy!
Baking time may vary a little bit for different ovens and different sizes of baking pans. During the baking time when the cake browns perfectly on top (after 30 minutes or so), cover the top loosely with a piece of Aluminium foil until it is fully baked. It helps to prevent over-browning on the top. Store the cake slices in an airtight container and keep refrigerated, consume within a week.