An easy-to-bake fruit cake with a twist!
It’s that time of the year again when juicy red carrots make an appearance in the markets and on our plates. While Gajar ka halwa is a crowd favourite, home baker Faiziya Soomar chose to work these red beauties into a rich American Fruit Cake. Here is her recipe for this teatime treat, which can also double up as a rich cake for festive occasions!
- Prep time
- Cooking time
|Carrots (grated)||2 cup/s|
|Dates||50 gram (g)|
|Cherries||50 gram (g)|
|Tutti frutti||50 gram (g)|
|Raisins (chopped)||50 gram (g)|
|Candied peel||30 gram (g)|
|Lemon rind||to taste|
|Baking soda||0.5 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Baking powder||1 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Salt||1 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Caramelised sugar (for color)||0.75 cup/s|
|Vanilla essence||1 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Nutmeg||1 teaspoon/s (tsp)|
|Cinnamon powder||1 tablespoon/s (tbsp)|
|Cashews||50 gram (g)|
- Preheat the oven to 100°C.
- Mix the grated carrots and sugar together. Add the chopped dates and other fruits to this mixture. Mix this properly with your fingers and keep it aside.
- Beat the eggs and add this to the mixture. Stir it with a spoon or spatula.
- Sift the maida with baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Mix in the sifted maida and oil.
- Add caramelised sugar, vanilla essence and spices to the batter. Mix well.
- Add the chopped nuts in the end.
- Pour the batter into a greased baking tin and bake for 40 minutes at 100°C.